April 24, 2012

Week 1

Zach and I after a beautiful ski at Flattop in Anchorage. (photo: Christopher Hall)
No, I didn't fall off the edge of the earth, although I feel like I've been to all ends of it in the last month or so.  After World Championships in Ruhpolding, Germany (way back in March), I headed to the World Cup final in Khanty-Mansyisk, Siberia, Russia for a week.  The races there were good, and it was a nice place to end the season.  After a missed flight and a quick turn stop in Lake Placid, I was off to Alaska for some post-season relaxation.  I've been here since then, skiing and enjoying the winter-spring transition.  It's been great, as I've been able to ski more than I've ever been able to in the spring, and I've been enjoying all that Alaska has to offer: from spring crust skiing to beautiful coastal jogs.

Crust skiing outside Anchorage! (photo: Zachary Hall)
Last week, the first official training week of the 2012-2013 season, Zach and I went out to a small bush village called Kiana to teach kids to ski with the NANANordic program.  It was an amazing week, with lots of time on snow and lots of really happy kids learning to skate ski.  I can't imagine a better start to the season.  Hopefully I'll have the chance to get back to Kiana soon!

Kiana School (photo: Zachary Hall)
Who needs a water-belt when there's a hole in the ice?! (photo: Zachary Hall)
Skiing with some of the girls. (photo: Zachary Hall)
Playing Caribou tag...yep, that's a real caribou skull.  Only in Alaska! (photo: Zachary Hall)
My new fan club in Kiana! (photo: Zachary Hall)
Zach and Forest helping the kids play ice basketball biathlon. (photo: Sara Studebaker)
Sometimes everyone needs a little help! (photo: Zachary Hall)
Next week I'm headed back to Lake Placid for our first National Team camp.  It will be good to get back into the "normal" routine.  For now, though, I'm enjoying the beautiful Alaska spring days here in Anchorage!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey can you drive that big car that your are leaning on?

Greets,
Holiday Rentals Saas Fee